Sunday, October 17, 2010

Liar Liar Pants on Fire, Mom and Dad, For Shame

Little League champ today, Weather God tomorrow.

Let me just start this blog by saying I have no right to complain. All in all my life is ok. It could be better, and therein lies the bitter disappointment I taste in the morning.

See, as a lucky millennial, I grew up with amazing parents. Supportive, present, not soccer/stage/hockey mom present, just the regular kind. Although my mother sometimes threatened corporal punishment in another language (extra intimidating), I got through my childhood physically and mentally unscathed. When I acted out, I was sent to my room to “find my star.” I still don’t really know what that means, but it worked. I was a good kid, didn’t do drugs, hung out with smart, dare I say nerdy?, kids. I did all the right things to get into a good college short of saving a beached whale. Despite the gaping hole in the marine rescue part of my application, I was accepted into a good college.

Every step of the way, my parents said I could do anything I wanted to do. That I could get into any school I wanted to. Basically, I was a rock star in average kid’s clothing. When I got into IvyLeague, I had to believe them. So merrily I went along to college, my launch pad to stardom.

Well college was pretty great. So was graduation. The realization that I had a totally useless DOUBLE major, however, was doubly disconcerting. I was rejected from the grad schools that me and all of humanity applied to that year. Teach for America dealt me a mean slap in the face too, but encouraged me to apply next year. My parents had betrayed me!

And now, what’s become of that golden child? Has her self-esteemed withered to the size and texture of a raisin? No. Has she set more reasonable goals? Why yes! She still has visions of stardom (albeit in an entirely different field) and even a few moons in her sights. Until she reaches them, she’ll be working three part time jobs, taking five classes, and telling you all about it.

Did your parents tell you that you were all that and a bag of chips, so to speak? Leave a comment, tell me about it.

3 comments:

  1. All that and a bag of organic, small-batch, extra-crispy kettle chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tara, you are all that a bag of organic, small-batch, extra-crispy kettle chips. you're also fair trade and sodium free.

    ReplyDelete